test

Saturday 28 February 2015

Leonard Simon Nimoy

written by
Richard A. Merk

Born:
March 26, 1931
Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.

Died:
February 27, 2015 (aged 83)
Bel Air, Los Angeles, California, U.S.

We all know him.  Even people that hate Star Trek know him.

Leonard Nimoy. Spock.

He did indeed live long and prosper, a man of many talents.

He taught acting classes in Hollywood.

He wrote two books titled "I Am Not Spock" and "I Am Spock".

He was a poet and a professional photographer.

He was a singer, recording many albums, including one about a certain hobbit named Bilbo Baggins, and appeared in music videos by The Bangles and Bruno Mars.

He did voice-overs for countless video games and documentaries.

He directed many films.

Most of all, of course, he was an actor, best known for his legendary role as Star Trek's enigmatic Mister Spock.



Over the years, there have been a few celeb deaths than have made me really sad, like an era had finally ended....  Michael Jackson... Farrah...   In the fifty years of my life, Leonard Nimoy's death is only the second celeb that made me actually cry. From when I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, interested in computers and science, Mister Spock was one of my true role models. He always kept his head no matter the crisis. He was always the solid rock that Kirk anchored on. He always had the right answers, even if they were self-sacrificing. Chicks digged him. But at the same time he was always so clueless and vulnerable to human foibles and (female) attention. He was everything I was, and wasn't, and wanted to be.

He played many roles in his life, but his Spock character took me on my farthest journeys. I never met him in person, but he was in my living room almost every day for 50 years, so he feels part of my family.

He helped show us that the human adventure is just beginning, and we joyfully went along with him each week into the final frontier. But now he has gone ahead of us into that undiscovered country from whose bourn no traveler returns, and we'll miss him terribly.

I'm not ashamed to admit I shed a tear.

Goodbye Mr. Nimoy.  May your Katra find peace and contentment amongst your ancestors in the Halls of Ancient Thought.






1 comment: